4.04.2013

A Short Reflection

This picture sits on my office desk and I look at it often.


I look at this picture and remember living on First Berg, my hall, for four years in a row.

I look at this picture and remember moving in my freshmen year and the excitement and energy I felt that day.

I look at this picture and remember the short years that allowed me to make lifelong friends with many of these men.

I look at this picture and remember the challenges of living with a bunch of bros, and wonder if some of them ever figured out how to take a shower regularly.

I look at this picture and regret things I would have done differently.

I look at this picture and think of things I would never change no matter what.

I look at this picture and remember being an RA for two years here and investing in the lives of these guys.

I look at this picture and think how I'm glad I grew up since then.

I look at this picture and think of how I made so many mistakes and how God met me with more grace than I ever needed.

I look at this picture and wish I could go back to those days and have a late night talk with Steve and Jordan one more time.

I look at this picture and wonder what happened to many of these guys and wish that I had been more intentional with my time with them.

I look at this picture when I tell my RA staff what "community" is about because I experienced it and lived it and know deep in my bones that this is a picture of what the Kingdom of God will be and is and has been.

I look at this picture and think how God used these men to shape my life in ways that I probably won't fully grasp until I'm old in years and have clearer eyes.

I look at this picture and pray that every college student experiences the richness of a community like this.

I look at this picture and am thankful to know that community is more than a trendy word, but is a reality.

No comments: